There’s really only one thing to know about humour: it’s the shortest distance between two people. Next to its ability to build relationships where relationships seem impossible, is the power of humour to ease tension, energize the soul and open the door to fresh creativity and gentle problem solving.
For many of us, including Lesley Hughes, humour is the armour for candour, something which enhances ones chances of survival as a social critic. Unless of course, you’re Joan Rivers. (See Hughes’ review of Joan Rivers latest book, I Hate Everything Starting with Me, which was published in the Winnipeg Free Press September 1, 2012.)
Hughes has led doctors, nurses, principals, teachers, single moms, foster parents, motivational speakers, accountants (yes, accountants!) out of the valley of forgotten laughter.
The only requirement of her audiences is that they dress comfortably and prepare to belly laugh.
Among the groups Hughes has left laughing are…
- Canadian Association of Professional Speakers
- Certified General Accountants of Manitoba
- Foster Parents of Manitoba
- Manitoba School Principals
- Manitoba Teachers Society
- Manitoba Women in Business
- Planned Parenthood
- Rogers Wireless Network
- St Boniface Hospital, nursing staff
- St.James School Division
- Winnipeg One School Division Professional Development Day
- Winnipeg One School Division, support staff
- Women’s Correctional Institute, Portage la Prairie